Texas Adult Driver Education
We have made every attempt to answer the most commonly asked questions. Please call or email us if your question is not here.
Please Select a Question:
The Adult Driver Education (ADE) program allows individuals between the ages of 18 and 24 to qualify for their first-time driver license in Texas.
In order to qualify for your Texas driver license, you will need to follow these steps:
- Register for our Texas ADE online course.
- Start the course.
- Complete the course.
- Receive your Certificate of Completion. We email you your Certificate of Completion for FREE immediately after you pass the final exam.
- Take the Impact Texas Young Drivers course and get your ITYD certificate.
Remember this certificate is only valid for 90 days.
- Apply for a driver license at the Driver License Office.
- Pass the driving and vision exams at the Driver License Office.
- Get your Texas driver license!
You must be at least 18 years of age to take the ADE course.
If you are between the ages of 18 and 24, you must:
- Have completed an approved Texas Adult Driver Education course.
- Have completed the Impact Texas Young Drivers (ITYD) course.
- Apply for a driver license in person at your local Driver License Office.
At the Driver License Office, you must:
- Present the following documents and information:
- Complete Application - DL-14A
- Identification documents
- Social Security Card or other acceptable evidence of a Social Security Number
- Proof of Texas Residency
- Proof of U.S. Citizenship or Lawful Presence
- Proof of financial responsibility for the vehicle that you will be using for your driving test or a statement that you do not own a vehicle.
You must have at least the minimum amount of coverage required for your vehicle.
- Valid motor vehicle registration in Texas for the vehicle which will be used for the driving exam or a statement that you do not own a vehicle that is
required to be registered
- Certificate of Completion from your Adult Driver Education course (ADE-1317)
- Certificate of Completion from your Impact Texas Young Drivers (ITYD) course
- Give thumbprints.
- Pay the required fee.
- Pass a vision exam and take the driving test.
- Have your picture taken.
- If you complete all of these steps and pass your driving test, you will receive a receipt that you may use as a temporary driver license until your permanent
license arrives in the mail. The receipt is valid for 45 days or until you receive your permanent license.
The online TX ADE curriculum consists of engaging lessons with:
- Informative course material
- Helpful videos
- Interactive animations and slideshows
- Fun games
A short quiz will be given at the end of each lesson. You must answer at least three of the four questions correctly to move on to the next lesson.
These features will allow you to easily master the content and help you pass with flying colors! We want to make this process as easy and anxiety-free as
possible for you.
Most people pass each quiz the first time. However, if you fail a lesson quiz, you will have to retake it as many times as necessary until you achieve
a 75% or better (3 out of 4 questions correct) before moving on to the next lesson.
No. You get to set your own schedule! Finish all at once if you'd like, or spread out the Texas Adult Driver Education course and complete it
when you have time.
We provide 24/7 online access with an unlimited number of logins. Just use your username and password to log in, and we will take you back to
where you last left off.
This course is 6 hours in length, as required by the TDLR.
We will issue you a refund if you are dissatisfied in any way within 30 days of your registration. You must submit your request within 30 days of
registering and before completing the course or the issuance of a certificate.
If you are having trouble with a video, first try refreshing the page. If this does not work, please try a different browser. Our course works best
with Chrome, Firefox, and Internet Explorer version 9 and above.
One of the above two options should fix the problem. However, if you find that the video is still not playing, please log out of the course and log back in.
This will restart the video.
Should you continue to have technical issues, please contact our Customer Care team at (800) 763-1297.
Anyone who completes the 6-hour Adult Driver Education course is required to take the
Impact Texas Young Drivers (ITYD) course and receive a completion certificate before taking
the driving test. The ITYD course is a free one-hour video course developed by the DPS that explains the dangers of distracted driving. When you complete the ITYD course,
you will be emailed a completion certificate. You must print the certificate and submit a paper copy to the driver license office when you take your driving test.
The ITYD certificate is only valid for 90 days. If you do not pass the driving skills exam within 90 days of the date on your certificate, you must
restart the ITYD program.
The price of the course is $37.00. You may pay by one of the following methods:
- Credit card online
- Credit card by phone
- Check by mail